Monday, February 4, 2008

Thom's thoughts on Prince Caspian

I love all of these books. It was good and fun and filled with battles. Yeah! As for Amy's discussion questions:

Question 1: Did you feel that this book had any religious or symbolic references?
I totally do. It is as if the people stopped believing in Aslan/Christ and that they had perverted the right ways. I see this time as the dark ages, the time without light and knowledge. It took a young boy who was willing to learn, ask, and act to bring Aslan back.


Question 2: In the book there is the part where Peter, Edmund and Trumpkin are listening to the arguments behind the door of whether or not they should call on the powers of the White Witch. Within a few minutes a small battle ensues. It seemed even Dr. Cornelius did not see it coming? Why do you think this happened? Could they have prevented it?
I don't know about this. I don't think that anyone really thought that the White Witch would have been brought up, even Dr. Cornelius. It is true that the dwarfs were treated well by her, but I do believe that the group was caught off guard. What frustrated me about this was that Peter et al. didn't rush in earlier. As soon as they heard the White Witch's name they should have stepped in and said that they were there.

Question 3: Who was your favorite character, and why? :)
Mine will always be Aslan. He is such a strong and compassionate leader. I love how Peter accepts his role in these first two books, but it is amazing how Aslan can see the good in everyone. What a great character!

No comments: