Friday, October 3, 2008

Yankee Doodle Boy

I just thought I would post my thoughts on this book since we have a new month, and a new book to look forward to.
I really enjoyed the simplicity of this book. And although simple, the language and vocabulary used was anything but simple. I appreciated the challenge of understanding the mind and experiences of a man who survived the very war that provided us with the freedoms we enjoy and the opportunities we have today. I have read other, more abstract, more imaginative, and less personal accounts of the Revolutionary War, which I enjoyed, and which made this one unique and priceless.
He made the reference numerous times to the knowledge that he, and many of the soldiers had that God had sustained and helped them through the grueling tasks, and horrible circumstances that they lived in during those years. I LOVED the conviction and faith that this man carried with him throughout his life. In my thoughts I briefly compared him to Joseph Smith, because he was such a thoughtful young man, and had made a decision to join the war based on personal beliefs, not on the opinions of others. Anyway, I thought it was a good pick! :) Anyone else?

No comments: